Exposure to mold isn’t healthy for anyone. Yet for some people, the risks of mold exposure are increasingly higher.
- Young children
- Individuals with existing respiratory conditions, such as allergies or asthma
- Persons with a weakened immune system, including people with HIV, cancer, or other chronic diseases
- The elderly
People that fall into these categories also vary in their sensitivities to mold. Some indoor molds, such as Fusarium and Stachybotrys, have varying levels of toxic properties, called mycotoxins. Mycotoxins are not always present, and depend on where the mold is growing, on what type of surface, and under what conditions.
When mycotoxins are present, they occur in both the living and dead mold spores, and may also exist on the materials in which they grew. So even if you have found mold spores and begin cleaning, the mold spores can become airborne and begin producing on another surface.
Currently there is no test available to determine whether mold growth is producing dangerous toxins. Likewise, there is no blood or urine test to determine the exposure to spores or its toxins.
Instead, its important to keep watch for mold exposure, and clean the area thoroughly if any mold growth is found. Use appropriate prevention measures, and contact a mold remediation contractor with any questions.